Want the tips we use to make money from home?
Sign me up to receive more helpful tips about making more money for yourself, saving a lot of money to get rich and frugal living tips. Feeling inspired and would love more blog posts like these
To a lot of people, the average cost of a wedding cause’s migraine, imagine budgeting more than £15,083.40($20,000)! This makes it one of the most expensive life events of any individual. In fact, a wedding is more expensive than most first cars, houses, and funerals. Do you want to learn how to plan a wedding on a small budget in 6 months or less?
I have great news for you-you can still have that stylish, fun, dream, memorable wedding without spending up to £15,083.40($20,000), while still saving money at the same time. Here are some amazing wedding ideas on a budget:
How to plan a wedding on a small budget
First, you need to know that planning a wedding alone is near impossible. You need friends and family to assist you with the pre-wedding planning and the day-of-wedding coordination so you can have an amazing wedding. If you’re too busy, look for a volunteer or hire a professional wedding planner to do the running around on your behalf.
You need to give yourself enough time (this could be 6 months, a year or less) to properly plan things (Photographer, venue etc.).
Pre-Planning: How to plan a wedding on a small budget
- Plan the wedding early: It is advisable to plan the wedding at least 6 months before the actual date.
- Create a list of people who can assist you with proper planning: The list can include your close friends, family, bridesmaid or a wedding planner.
- Contact every person included on your planning list: You should never make the mistake of assuming they know (they are waiting for you to ask). So what are you waiting for? You should ask them if they can find time to help you complete some wedding tasks. Don’t be shy; speak about your plans with your aunties, friends, bridesmaids, maid of honour, mom and her friends etc.
- Create a wedding timeline and checklist to help you stay focused: Your team must be constantly reminded of the goals to be met before the required deadline. After you’ve asked for help from everyone, the next step is to show them the wedding plan to-do list, of tasks to complete from that moment till the last day. Now, you must carefully assign one or more work from the list to each person ready to help you. The tasks assigned to each individual should be in line with what they love to do or what they are really good at.
- Involve and carry your fiancée along: Of course I know he is a man, but, that shouldn’t stop him from throwing a helping hand when need be. You should assign him actions to carry out on your wedding plan checklist(It is better to ask him what he can help out with, or just assign him tasks based on your knowledge of him). Men generally perform in tasks related to hiring the DJ, drink and liquor, setting the wedding budget, making arrangements for the sound system for the big day, price negotiation of the venue, planning the honeymoon etc.
- Make a budget list and budget: You should make a list of things you need to buy or rent for the wedding. Carry out research to discover how much each one costs, then total up the costs and see if there are any areas you can still reduce the cash.
Everything Wedding Related: How to plan a wedding on a small budget
- Wedding Venue
Three things are decided before the wedding-who to marry, the date and whether or not to marry. Choosing a beautiful place can be really costly, but you can increase your savings by getting married on any day of the week) apart from Saturday of course) and by picking a location outside the city limits.
- Reception Food and Drink Menu
The easiest way to save on desserts, food and drink for your ceremony is to provide your own-it involves more stress but it is definitely worth it. Do not be afraid to call on your family and friends to help while ensuring you don’t over expand yourself with complex fare. But if you don’t want to make your own, consider serving heavy appetizers in place of a sit-down meal, and make sure your venue allows you to bring in our own fruit drinks, wine, liquor and wine. The bar tab is usually the most expensive part of the refreshments.
- Wedding Photographer and Videographer
Everyone desires great photo of their wedding. That is why you must consider quality and cost while hiring a wedding photographer. To save a lot of money, consider hiring someone that’s just getting started in their career or who shoots weddings as a side gig.
- Wedding Ceremony and Reception Music
Hiring a band, a DJ, a performer or a professional musician can cost you a lot, but you can save in this category by hiring a student musician, consider a family member or friend to perform, playing mix tapes through the music player etc.
- Wedding Decor
Beautifying things can quickly rise from a few hundred dollars to thousands of dollars, but luckily there are many ways to save. Consider buying second hand wedding decorations, using a friend or making your own etc. This is another trick on how to plan a wedding on a small budget.
- Wedding Flowers
Wedding flowers can cost you thousands of dollars, but if you are economical you can easily lower your flower bill to only a few hundred dollars and still have eye catching arrangements at the wedding venue. The simple way to doing this is by being really thoughtful about the types of flowers you want to choose, and involve creativity on how you can repurpose them throughout the wedding.
- Ceremony Decorations
On a few occasions, less is best, and this will help you keep the price of decorating your wedding ceremony on a minimal. Also, remember that depending on the venue selected, the setting itself might be all you need.
- Reception Decorations
Want to save more money on reception decorations? Have a little fun with it. Bring your creativity on, select a solid theme. After this, every other thing will quickly fall in place.
- Reception Table Centerpieces
This decoration also spices up your wedding. However, if you are looking for amazing wedding ideas on a budget, you should try making the centerpieces yourself.
Wedding Attire: How to plan a wedding on a small budget
- Wedding Dress
Every bride wants to look real good on her wedding day-and-this makes losing control very easy when it comes to shopping for a wedding gown. It doesn’t always have to be this way, in fact, you can save money on the wedding dress if you stick to your budget and shop smartly, renting a wedding dress or using a friends or family member.
- Menswear: How to plan a wedding on a small budget
It is a known fact that the most people fix their eyes on the bride but it’s still important for the groom to look clean and good. And luckily, menswear’s are not expensive when compared to the bride’s dress. Men need to be flexible when choosing what they will appear in on their conjugal ceremony and should consider suits as alternatives to tuxedos.
- Bride’s Hair
I know having a stylist come to you on your special day is pretty convenient, but the huge bill it comes with may cause you more than your intended budget. On the other hand, going to a cosmetology school or doing your own hair will help you avoid spending pass your budget on your hairdo.
- Bride’s Makeup
The bride’s make up is another thing to consider when you are looking for ways on how to plan a wedding on a small budget.
The same thing applies to bride’s makeup. Having a professional makeup artist do your makeup can prove to be quite expensive. On the other hand, you can buy your own makeup, watch youtube tutorials and do it yourself. Consider other ways to cut cost such as: the use of coupons to buy makeup or by visiting a department store’s cosmetics counter for a free makeover.
20. Wedding Jewellery
There will be exchange of rings during the wedding ceremony to seal the vow. As a lady, you will most likely want to complement it with a few pieces of jewellery around your neck or around your wrist. The best money saving idea to avoid spending past the budget cash for jewellery is by staying out of high-end stores, and borrowing from family and friends.
Other Wedding Costs: How to plan a wedding on a small budget
- Wedding Invitations
Doing your wedding invitations yourself guarantees you saving more money. You can either send email wedding invites to people or providing your own cardstock to the printer.
- Wedding Favours
It is a long aged practice to give wedding favours to your invited guests as an appreciation for their loving support of your marriage. The cost of favours can be handled with ease in a small wedding but imagine if it’s a big one, it can quickly become expensive. You might want to consider making them yourself to cut down the cost, by providing something simple such as burning a CD or bagging up some candy.
Plan for Coordination of the main Wedding Day: How to plan a wedding on a small budget
There will be moments when you will be on stage (you can’t oversee things during these periods). It is important that you assign a few people to coordinate or oversee things on your wedding day. These people are charged with the responsibility of getting to the wedding venues very early and leaving only when every other person has left. They will see to it that everything goes according to plan-decorations, cake, ring, food and drinks etc.
When the set date is very close by, these are the people that will do most background work. So, plan this team ahead of time; tell the people you handpick to do certain things while spelling out what you expect them to do. Ensure there is appropriate provision of helpful tips and resource to the people chosen to aid you in your conjugal quest.
- Do frequent follow up with your wedding planning team on a regular basis: You need to check off items already completed and attend to issues as they arise.
- Do proper record keeping: You should make a record of the wedding expense (amount of cash spent, amount saved etc.).
Slowly shift your role as the lead planner unto the shoulders of a few trusted friends: 4 to 8 weeks before the big day, you should assign appoint a team of trusted friends to coordinate or look after activities on your wedding day. Look through the list of things they need to do before, during and after the religious/church ceremony, as well as before, during and after the reception one more time before handing them the list.
- Get routine fixes: You should spend the last days to your wedding getting hair trails, routine beauty fixes, hair fixes as well as having your engagement shoot.
- Pack a wedding day emergency kit: You should do this only with your chief bridesmaid/maid of honour and let her/them take good custody of the kit on the wedding day. A wedding emergency kit consist of items like: Make up, Handkerchief, Perfume, Hairspray, Breath mints, legal documents, portable mirror Hair brush /comb, mobile phone etc.
Treat and bond with your bridesmaid: Once it’s a few days to your wedding, you should begin spending more time with your bridesmaids and groomsmen, going through the wedding day itinerary and making sure that you left no stone unturned.
- Do a last-minute check on things: A few days to your wedding, you should confirm things with your plans, wedding venues, gifts, decoration etc. Make sure they are ready or almost ready- and monitor them closely up to the wedding day.
Note: You don’t have to do this yourself; you can hire a trusted friend or a family member to do this.
- Relax and be married: Attend your wedding with your mind at rest and be ready to be a guest, knowing that you setup an able team to take care of everything behind the scenes as you party.
Involve People and Ask for Help Early: Don’t Be a Bride do-it-all!( How to plan a wedding on a small budget )
Only bride-do-it-all wants to perform every task when preparing for their weddings. The best thing to do is to delegate roles (kill that fear of other people messing things up; be bold, take a big leap!). Again, remember our two keys to successful weddings – planning (pre-wedding) and coordination (wedding day/ reception).
If you get these two rights, you can be rest assured that you’ll have a great wedding without stress.
I’m pretty sure you’d save a lot of money using all of the above tips. However, you will be spending some cash on each and every one of your guests. They will want to spend money on you to show their support, appreciation for being invited to your wedding and happiness. Be sure to create a memorable wedding registry so that there is an absolute guarantee that you get gifts in terms of cash or items you love.
But remember that…
Another major thing to remember is that the amount of money spent on your wedding day is not a direct correlation to how memorable it will be. You can have that dream, beautiful, classy, memorable day for far less than the average £15,083.40($20,000).
What did you do to save money in preparation for your special wedding day?
I hope this post will help you end your struggle with organizing your wedding successfully without stress, if you’re a newly engaged bride or groom. Now, it’s your turn to talk back to me – tell me the things you have already done in preparation for your dream wedding – which of the above steps have you already done or about to do?
Did you enjoy our how to plan a wedding on a small budget in 6 months? Kindly share with family and friends! Thanks!!!